• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

iv bad reaction to tattoo near injection site?

teatreechick

Greenlighter
new to bluelight and wasnt sure where i would put this.
i shot speed about a week ago into the other arm than i usually go... i have a pretty large tattoo right next to it (which is about 2 months old so fairly fresh)and ever since a portion of it (green ink) has become raised and inflamed.. its sore to touch and itchy.. it doesnt seem to be going down.. what could this be? should i be worried? :X has anyone ever encountered this kind of thing before?

This does have some affinity to the Basic Drug Discussion forum but your tattoo swelling only in the area with green ink sounds more like a Healthy Living topic. I think your having shot up in that arm may only be coincidental rather than causal. Even if shooting in that area triggered the reaction somehow, I think the problem is that your body has become allergic to or intolerant of the green ink or something contained in the ink.

I think I'd use hydrocotisone creme on the tattoo as it lessens swelling and inflammation then see a Doctor as soon as possible. I'd also talk to the tattoo artist to see if they have ever heard of such a reaction and if they know what might be done to help.

Hydrocortisone is great at relieving inflammation but there is a caution. It does lower immune response and can make infections, especially fungal infections, go rampant. So if it seems at all like there might be infection in the area do not use the hydrocortisone.

Homeless------------------------> Healthy Living

Thanx yeh i thought it might not be related.. it just seemed strange that it only came up after i shot right next to it and healed perfectly normally after i got it. its only in a one bit of the green ink part the darkest in the area nearest the injection site with other bits of green further away appearing totally normal. didnt want to go to doc til evidence of injecting had healed but i will go to chemist / tattooist tomorrow coz the pain is pretty bad and im worried i might damage the tattoo.. its getting more red under the skin too. thanx for ur info. hydrocortisone sounds good but a little worried about the fungal infection thing.. was hoping there was an easy answer that didnt involve doctors but seems there is nothing else for it really :/ thanx :)

When I have had a skin problem of indeterminate cause I have used hydrocortisone but mixed it with triple antibiotic lotion and an antifungal (1% clortrimazole) figuring that the combo would treat most any skin problem without letting infection take over if it there were pathogens involved. I've not had an opportunity to bounce this idea off a doctor but it worked well for me.

My worry for you is that a reaction that starts two months later and is getting worse likely will continue getting worse until the substance you are sensitized to is removed. Also redness could be a reaction but there is no way to be 100% sure that there isn't some infection involved. Please if the tattoo people or the chemist have any good suggestions do update this thread with anything that works for others that might have a similar situation.

will do :) and thanx:) ive been using vitamin e cream, antibacterial soap and alcohol swabs on it the last few days but hasnt had any improvement so will report back with my findings after seeking professional help.. also can u get clortrimazole over the counter?

^In the US yes its a standard antifungal lotion, has lots of brand names but imo the generic is just as good. Sorry but I don't know much about over the counter vs Rx in Australia but enough time on BL and I might someday.

so to update i have been using hydrocortisone cream on it for a few days and it has cleared up almost entirely another day and i think it will be gone:) hasnt flaired up again when its been subjected to the same treatment either so i think im winning :)